Pages

Wednesday 3 February 2016

Update on the new Porta Pro cable

A while ago I changed the cable on my Koss Porta Pro to a new one bought off ebay. You can read about this in my previous blog post. It seemed like a reasonable cable although not the sturdiest. However, considering the original cable lasted me around two-three years I was hoping to get at least a year of use out of this new one. That turned out to be wrong. Today I was going to go for a walk and as the great music fan I am I wanted some music in my ears while walking. To my disappointment I heard only music from the right speaker. The left side was completely dead. I tried replugging the cable to my phone, no difference. I thought maybe there is something wrong with the phone so I tried connecting them to my O2+ODAC combo, but the problem remained. I examined the cable for any visible damage and I couldn't see any. I tried jiggling around the cable along its whole length to see if I can get a connection somehow. No success. I took of the speaker from the frame and opened it up to see if the solder joints were still intact and they were. Apparently the cable must have broken somewhere and I can't find it.

Right now I don't know what to do. A new cable would cost me around 40SEK and a month of waiting and may only last another month or two. A new pair of headphones would cost me 300SEK and would hopefully last at least a year or two. I could try with another, sturdier, cable, such as a normal 3.5mm to 2xRCA but that would probably cost ~80SEK and would require some modifications to the headphones which might not turn out very well. I really like the Porta Pro headphones because in my opinion they are the simply the most portable non-in-ear headphones and they do actually have a decent sound for its price level.

1 comment:

  1. How do you mean? Where would you put the jack on the headphones? Sure, if you can find a way to do it, it would be great since you could easily swap cables if they break.

    ReplyDelete